Denmark has taken part in the Venice Biennale since its inauguration in 1895. The first Venice Biennale took place in the Palazzo d’ Esposizioni, today known as the main exhibition’s Central Pavilion, in the Giardini di Castello. Here, Denmark was represented in one or two rooms. However, during the years the Biennale grew to a much greater size than the central exhibition building could accommodate. So, from 1907 onwards, a number of countries started to build national pavilions in the park around the Palazzo d’ Esposizioni. Since then, an increasing number of national pavilions have seen the light of day, also outside the park - and in the last couple of Biennales more than 50 nations have taken part.
The Danish Pavilion consists of two joint buildings and is situated in the Giardini di Castello, close to the main entrance. The main building dates from 1932 and was designed by the architect Carl Brummer (1864-1953). It comprises a large Neo-Classical rectangular space with skylights, which from outside is dominated by a colonnade covering the entire façade.
In the post-war years requirements started to change: not least in terms of the size of the Danish Pavilion. As such it became imperative to find a new solution. For a while, a possible plan was to demolish the existing Brummer-building and to take part in the establishment of a joint Nordic pavilion. However, this plan was abandoned and instead it was decided to build an extension to the existing building. The commission was given to the architect, Peter Koch (1905-1980) in 1960, who created a functional and modern extension of yellow brick with a flat roof.