What we do
We work to support, promote and raise the profile of Danish literature internationally by coordinating the Danish presence at international literary and cultural events and projects abroad. This includes:
- Organisation of Danish stands at the following book fairs: Bologna, Frankfurt, London
- Coordination of the literary part of official Danish cultural projects abroad
- Visiting programmes for international translators, publishers, journalists and promoters
The Danish Arts Foundation's Committee for Literature runs a number of international funding schemes. These funding schemes are geared towards publishers, translators, foreign institutions and authors seeking support for trips or translation work in connection with specific literary projects.
Funding is allocated to the following five areas:
- Grants to publishers to cover translation fees
- Grants to translators and publishers for the production of sample translations
- Travel grants for translators. Professional translators with at least two published works to their name can apply for grants to cover trips abroad in connection with a specific translation project or study trips to extend/refresh their linguistic and cultural knowledge
- Grants to support the attendance by Danish authors at literary festivals, readings and promotional events in connection with the publication of works abroad. On the same basis, grants are awarded to support visits by foreign authors to Denmark
- Grants for the publication of Danish literature in translation.